This couple flew all the way from Guam to Manila to have their relationship blessed. His partner is from Nueva Ecija. We had such a great time after the Holy Union we had a wonderful cultural performance from “Kultura”, nice music and nice food. God is so good to us. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.
This is the homily that I shared during this occasion.
Good afternoon my dear brothers and sisters. My name is Father Regen Luna, I am an ordained Elder and Priest of the Christian United Church and the Catholic Diocese of One Spirit in the Philippines. We are not under the Roman Catholic Church, we are Independent Catholics.
Before we proceed to the Holy Union rites I would like to share with you some thoughts about same sex Holy Union.
Same Sex Holy Union is not same sex marriage. This two are very much different. Same Sex Holy Union is a sacrament or a ceremony in our church. It is not a government involved ceremony. This is a covenant between two people of the same sex and gender. Marriage by legal definition is for males and females. So I want all of us to understand the difference between these two ceremonies.
Yesterday I had a nice meeting with this couple and we talked about the wedding preparations for today and also the difference between marriage and holy union.
WHY DO WE CALL IT A HOLY UNION?
Because this vow is being said in the presence of God. That is why we call it a Holy Union. This covenant or agreement is between the couple, the witnesses, our church and God. This is a same gender relationship blessing.
IS HOMOSEXUALITY A SIN? In our church we believe that homosexuality is not a sin in the context of a loving committed, responsible, monogamous homosexual relationship. We also believe that homosexuality is not a sickness as proven by science, since 1973 international psychological and psychiatric associations in the United States already removed homosexuality as a mental illness because they found out that it is not a sickness.
WHAT IS YOUR BIBLICAL BASIS IN CONDUCTING SAME SEX HOLY UNIONS?
Contrary to popular belief, same sex love is celebrated and affirmed in the Holy Bible. Our first reading this afternoon attests to this fact. In our first reading David and Jonathan’s love story is written in the Bible in full length. Some may say that they are just friends but if we will study it carefully no one in their logical minds will still say that they are friends. This is the first biblical history of same sex holy union.
1. David and Jonathan became ONE SOUL. “And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father’s house. Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul…” (I Samuel 18:1-3 KJV)
2. JONATHAN LOVED DAVID. “and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” ( I Samuel 18:1-3)
3. JONATHAN AND DAVID MADE A COVENANT OR AN AGREEMENT. “Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul…” (I Samuel 18:1-3 KJV) “And Jonathan caused David to swear again, because he loved him: for he loved him as he loved his own soul…” (I Samuel 20:17 KJV)
4. DAVID ACCEPTED JONATHAN’S LOVE. “I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women…” (2 Samuel 1:26 KJV)
5. DAVID AND JONATHAN MADE A COVENANT IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD. “1Sa 20:41 After the boy had left, David got up from behind the pile of stones, fell on his knees and bowed with his face to the ground three times. Both he and Jonathan were crying as they kissed each other; David’s grief was even greater than Jonathan’s. 1Sa 20:42 Then Jonathan said to David, “God be with you. The LORD will make sure that you and I, and your descendants and mine, will forever keep the sacred promise we have made to each other.” Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town…”
CONCLUSION: We have so many reasons why we conduct same sex holy unions and I just presented you 5 reasons why. Other churches will say that it is a sin. But we do believe that LOVING a person is NOT A SIN. LOVE is not patented or copyrighted only for heterosexual people. No one owns love. No church owns love. You know why? In our second reading it is written in I John 4 that “God is LOVE, those who lives in LOVE, God lives in THEM”. Now if Ron and Fernan LOVES each other does God live in them or not? Now if God lives in their LOVE then there is no SIN. They are not sinners they are a LOVING COUPLE where GOD LIVES IN THEIR LOVE. Amen?